Short Story Questions

  1. When I began reading the text I thought it was I thought it was a real, possibly historical event that this man was writing about. I thought that maybe he had gotten caught by this bearded man and was being interrogated, and because of all this I expected it to be a typical story that I’ve heard before. However as I continued reading I found it humorous and intriguing. Once the poll guy came and sat down I realized this was not a real event and that made it even more interesting as I wanted to see what would happen to him. I think the way he created the scenario and made it reflect how writers feel when they have to sit down and write a new story was smart and witty. 
  2. I connected with this story because I love to write and I can connect to the writer in letting your imagination go when trying to come up with a new story. The elements of the story I connected with was the humor and wittiness because it kept me wanting to read the story, as well as the position of the writer because it allowed me to create a scene in my head of this situation he was in, like it was a movie I was watching, and that element helped me to connect to it as well. The struggle to come up with a story as he described in the beginning was something else I connected to, and I think many people can. 
  3. If I could adapt this story into another medium, I would adapt it into a film because I think it's already set up for this very well, and short stories are easily made into short scenes or films to me. The changes I would make is maybe not including the flashback at the beginning when he's thinking about his son and how he told him a story. Maybe instead I would show the viewers that he's a father through a handmade bracelet or a photo that he keeps with him. I also would not include the thoughts of the narrator that where he realizes that people from the middle east get what they want by force and people from sweden ask for things nicely. I think in the film version it would not be necessary to include that; it would already be seen through the characteristics of the people. Other than that, I don't think I would change anything as far as the story goes, and I would add details to the characters appearances and the scene around them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Favorite Thing Is Monsters" Commentary

Wes Anderson Commentary