Ready Player One

        To create a scene from Ready Player One that fits the medium of virtual reality, I would adapt the scene from page 22 of the novel where he is describing the place he lives. To start this scene I would have the first frame be the corner of a crammed laundry room with a makeshift bed and his small window and a washer machine underneath it showing in the frame. The sun would slowly come up and the light would start filling his room, with a blue tint and a foggy atmosphere in his room. The camera focuses on Wane as he starts dressing quickly, then goes to his hands as he puts on his gloves, and slides open the window, where we also see the frost on the sill and on the glass. The camera moves in front of him as he looks out into his area and we see his red cheeks, showing how cold it is. The frame moves out to show the rest of his neighborhood and shows that his aunt’s trailer was the top one in a stack of trailers. Then the continues to zoom out to reveal the rest of the stacks of trailers. As it pans out, details from the trailers are shown and the system that keeps them stacked on top of one another, and then quickly moves back up to Wane as he’s looking out and the scene ends. 


      When I began reading this novel, I had already seen the trailer for the movie that is coming out soon, so I had an image of what the overall look of the novel and the characters were in the story. At first I thought it wouldn’t be interesting because virtual reality is still a concept that I’m learning about, and learning how it can be applied. Additionally, I don’t play video games so knowing that it would be a novel about a sort of gaming world come to life, sounded a bit boring and almost too unrealistic for me to connect to. However, I ended up really enjoying the novel, one reason being because the writing style of the author reminded me of the books I read in middle school so there was a nostalgic aspect to it in that sense. But I also realized that the overall story and concept were interesting and because of the way our technology is moving, I started to see how virtual reality could possibly be used like it was in the novel, to create a world separate from ours where people could escape to…but hopefully this will be far down in the future. Imagining what a scene in the film would look like and writing about it was really exciting to me because this is essentially what I want to do in the future, designing the sets for films. But it was difficult for me to come up with an original picture of the scene without seeing the trailer from the film in my mind. However, the nostalgia combined with the concept of the novel makes it a very interesting novel and an even more interesting film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Story Questions

"My Favorite Thing Is Monsters" Commentary

Wes Anderson Commentary