Marriage of a Thousand Lies

         In reading the book, Marriage of a Thousand Lies, it was interesting to hear a different point of view and hear an experience of a person from a different background. Even though I don't get to read novels as often as I would like, I'm usually not drawn to these kinds of books but I think it's good to read about point of views that we're not always aware of or exposed to. Especially because a challenge is a challenge, and the character faced many that are difficult to understand but we can relate to in some way as we've all been through difficult times in our lives. One thing I was interested in was the fact that she is Sri Lankan. I can relate to her background in that way as my parents are immigrants from Romania. So much here is different from other countries and those challenges are very relatable as well.
       In the discussion in class it was interesting to see how her background influenced her main character. To hear her perspective and hear about her process was really good as well because we don't usually get to see the steps that they take to write their novel. I also really appreciated the advice that she gave for artists. Although this was not necessarily related to the novel, it was really encouraging and good to see the artist perspective from a writer. I think the movie was also helpful in seeing that point of view in real life, so to speak. I don't typically watch movies like that so it was an interesting experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Story Questions

"My Favorite Thing Is Monsters" Commentary

Wes Anderson Commentary